Thursday, March 1, 2012

I ran outside and I'm still alive to blog about it!

I had a completely different topic in mind for tonight but scrap that, it can wait until the weekend. Tonight I must shout from the roof tops! I have had the most incredible day. Granted, there was no single life-altering "main event"; more so a series of little things that have kept a constant grin on my face all day. First of all, I seem to have finally broken through the drudgery of my cold! I have regained my energy, appetite and clarity of mind and it's refreshing to say the least. It doesn't hurt that the weather was positively perfect today, blazing sunshine and 80-degree temps; my body was begging me to go outside.

After throwing a most-enjoyable surprise pizza party for some coworkers, the "diet Coke break" crew decided to make the most of the sunshine. We are now five-people strong and it has become a highlight of my work day to get outside and get active with the girls! We challenged ourselves today and nearly doubled our walking distance to a total 1.5 miles; not bad for a work break! Cindy said her fingers felt swollen and started waving her arms in the air so in the name of solidarity we joined her and attracted quite a bit of attention from passersby. I love our crazy crew.

When I arrived home this evening I was amazed that the weather was still beautiful. Since it's been nearly a week since I've done any running (due to illness, not laziness), I decided to take a long walk around the neighborhood. Something I love about exercising outdoors are the smiles and waves of encouragement from others who are also out being active. Those little gestures make me smile bigger and push even harder. I was cruising along steadily when suddenly, somewhere around the one-mile mark my feet grew a mind of their own. Before I knew it, I was running. Running! Outside!! I'm sure some people would scratch their heads and say, "And? what's your point?"

My point is this: I can't even recall the last time I ran outside as an adult and it was so much easier than I'd imagined! In actuality it wasn't easy at all, just easier. For some reason I'd envisioned running outside would be similar to running with lead weights in my shoes; it wasn't. I ran like hell and then ran some more. I have no idea how long or how far I ran before I decided it was time to walk again. That's kind of the beauty of running outside. There are no digital numbers staring you in the face, no buttons to push when you want to increase or decrease speed, you just go. It was liberating in every sense of the word and for the first time in my life I felt like a runner.

It was at this very moment that a blur of a reality check man went flying past me. It literally looked like he was sprinting while I marched in place and all I could do was laugh my ass off. I may be more tortoise than hare for now, but one of these days it will be ME kicking up dust. I live for that day.

1 comment:

  1. Run Bang Run!! Awesome post! I'm proud of you!

    ReplyDelete