Saturday, March 24, 2012

If you ain't dirty, you ain't here to party

What a week this has been! Anyone who knows me knows that a) I like to sleep and b) I'm not a morning person (understatement of the year). This week some special work circumstances required me to be awake at 5am and work some 11+ hour days. By the time I returned home each night I was a cranky, delirious mess. I would scarf down dinner and face plant on to my pillow. Both my eating habits and my workouts suffered as a result. In fact, I couldn't muster the energy for a single workout all week.

When I finally made it back to the office on Thursday I spent the entire day standing or sprinting around the building, trying to tie up as many loose ends as possible. It felt good to be on my feet but was tiring nonetheless. When all was said and done, I ended up with more than enough hours to end my work week and was able to kick-start the weekend a day early. Hallelujah!

                                                Source: godirtygirl.com via Em on Pinterest


While browsing around my twitter feed on Thursday night I was excited to find a live chat for the Dirty Girl Mud Run, hosted by FitFluential. The Dirty Girl Mud Run is a women-only 5K mud run that includes hilariously-named obstacles for all abilities (Utopian Tubes, anyone?) and donates a portion of the registration fees to the National Breast Cancer Foundation. Sounds amazing, right? I had heard about the mud run months ago and managed to persuade my friend Karen to join me. It didn't take much persuading at all, actually. Our conversation went like this:
Me: What are your thoughts on:
a) Hartland, WI
b) mud
c) wearing ridiculous outfits while doing a 5K mud run in Hartland, WI?
Her: a) Like, b) Love it, c) When does your plane land?
And so an idea was born. Karen and I both used to live in the Northeast, where we became friends. Then I moved south to the land of pork BBQ and grits and she headed home to the land of beer and cheese. We don't see each other nearly enough and I was thrilled to have found an excuse to get together. Our only obstacle was money. We both started new jobs last year and I only get paid once a month, which has made it difficult to line up our schedules to actually pay for registration fees, plane tickets, etc.

This brings me back to Thursday night's #dirtygirl twitter chat. What a fun time I had chatting with other women who are also planning to participate in the various Dirty Girl mud runs! I got some great advice such as how to prevent losing a shoe in the mud (duct tape the shoes to your feet!) and had a lot of laughs about the festivities (and apparently firefighters?!) that await us Dirty Girls at the finish line.

At some point during the chat, it was mentioned that @FitFluential and @GoDirtyGirl would be giving away free race registrations to five chat participants. How cool is that?! There were so many women chatting that I figured my chances were slim but I crossed my fingers and got lost in the amazing conversation.

Fast-forward to Friday when I received an email from FitFluential notifying me that I was one of the winners!! That email not only made my day but my whole entire week! I immediately texted Karen to tell her the good news and offered to split the cost of her registration so we can register our team right away (before the remaining afternoon time slots fill up).

I am so happy and so grateful for this opportunity. Recently I began to doubt that Karen and I would be able to get our funds together before the race sold out completely. Thank you FitFluential and GoDirtyGirl.com for allowing me the opportunity to achieve my goal of participating in my very first mud run with one of my favorite people!

3 comments:

  1. I can't wait for pictures of your Dirty run!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm still trying to figure out how these pics will be taken! I'm thinking I need a waterproof disposable camera, gonna kick it old school. FYI Dirty Girl is anticipating putting on 40-50 of these mud runs next year and you will be participating in one with me. I won't take no for an answer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on winning a spot!

    ReplyDelete