Monday, July 16, 2012

Butterflies

I try not to look at my feet when I run. It's bad form I know, so I constantly remind myself to look straight ahead. "Chest up, shoulders down, arms loose," I recite wordlessly, mimicking the rhythm of my feet on the pavement.

Sometimes though, I manage to sneak a peek at the ground. Mostly to be sure I'm not about to trip on uneven sidewalk or step in dog shit, and ok sometimes I just like stealing a glimpse of my neon pink running shoes. But tonight I saw something pretty cool. As I hurtled down the sidewalk I noticed what I thought was a stray leaf, listless and still.

As I was nearly upon it, suddenly up it sprang and fluttered away; a butterfly, and another one just steps beyond that. They kind of took my breath away. I'd like to think they were placed there for me; a reminder that things aren't always what they seem and change can yield beautiful things.

1 comment:

  1. I know that I miss a lot of nature when I am out walking and in some cases running because I tend to look at my feet when I am working out. Thanks for the reminder to look around me and not miss the beauty that surrounds me.

    ReplyDelete