Sunday, October 7, 2012

Five years, four sizes and one pair of pants

Saturday morning I met my running group for an 11 mile training run. I was still half asleep when I rolled up at 6:45am, so when Suzy grabbed my face I was slightly startled. "Look at you!!!" she shouted, still holding my face. "You look so skinny! Something has changed!" It seemed odd to receive such a reaction from someone I see every weekend, but she was right. Something had changed seemingly overnight. After hovering awkwardly between sizes for months, suddenly my pants seemed too big and my face more defined.

I spent a lot of time this weekend thinking about my weight. So far this year I have managed to reduce my BMI from the Obese category to Overweight. I have lost more than 10% of my body weight since January. I have finally settled in at a size 12 and weigh  less now than I did when I began high school. Some days I have to pinch myself to understand that this is real.


I decided this morning to clean out my closet and get rid of some items that no longer fit. In doing so I unearthed a pair of pants that I wore to work often while at my heaviest weight. As I began shedding pounds on my weight loss journey, I forced myself to get rid of any clothes that no longer fit. I did not want to have the mindset that if I gained the weight back, I would still have something to wear. Instead I told myself to get rid of the clothes because I would never be so heavy as to fit in to them again. There was one exception though, and that was a pair of pinstripe work pants. These would serve as a reminder of where I had been and how far I had come.


I totally fit both of my legs in one pant leg!

Today I found those size 20 pants, the ones that used to be snug, and I put them on. The waistband struggled to stay up over my hips and the pant legs sagged like deflated balloons. I gathered up the material around me and stared at the fabric in my hands, remembering the person whose skin used to fill every inch of it. I have come so far from the person I was back then that sometimes I forget she existed at all. I'm glad I have those pants to remind me.

8 comments:

  1. I'm always in awe of the transformation. What a successful journey! -MRScrashmattb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh! This is incredible! You look so great! Also, you did this afte you ran 11 freaking miles! I'm so proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look FABULOUS!!! And I love those pictures. I have gotten rid of all my clothes as I outgrow (outshrink?) them but I have kept one pair of jeans from every size since I started this journey. I like to look through them to remind of how far I've come. I hope you never get rid of those pants!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for reading and for your sweet words, ladies!!

    Dacia- I love that you have one pair of each size! I have sent all of mine off to Goodwill with the exception of those pinstripes. I plan to keep them forever! I hope you'll do the same with yours :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You look amazing! You need to post more pictures & I am saying it in a non creepy/pervy way.

    I have a pair of my biggest pants and will probably keep them forever. I look forward to when I can put both legs in one pant leg because i know I will get there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an amazing transformation! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is amazing!! You are awesome and such an inspiration!! You look fabulous pretty girl!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have been nominated for an award!

    http://jayellegf.blogspot.ca/2012/10/my-first-award-nominations.html

    ReplyDelete