Saturday, February 1, 2014

January Recap

Today I was out shopping and almost bought a t-shirt that had a runner, a piece of cake, and a bed on it. By the time I reached the cashier I decided I wasn't going to buy it and I said as much. He asked why not and I laughed and said I really didn't need another t-shirt even though "I do all three of those things". He asked if I run a lot and when I told him I do he said, "well, it shows." I thought that was a really sweet compliment and it gave me a spring in my step for the rest of the day.

Like many people, I recommitted myself to my weight loss goals for 2014. I'm happy to report that January was a good month for me. As I mentioned in my last post I joined a CrossFit bootcamp, and now that I've completed four weeks of workouts I can wholeheartedly declare my love for it. While not perfect (I wish it was a longer and/or more intense workout), there are so many aspects of bootcamp that have been great for me.

I've found that having this scheduled appointment with myself really helps me to stay accountable. It's so easy to talk myself out of working out if I don't have a concrete time and routine planned. In addition to bootcamp I've started going back to my free Sunday yoga class and I realize how much I've missed it. I have also been joining some friends and acquaintances on their mission to hike a different local trail every weekend through the end of the year. It has been so fun exploring new territory while also being active!

As far as nutrition goes, consistent weekly meal prep has been my savior. Clearly the current theme in my life is planning! At a previous job of mine there was always talk about "setting yourself up for success" and I like to think that's what I'm doing here. Most of my eating has been what is considered "clean", though I'm really just trying to eat more-nutritious, less-processed food. I have gone out to eat in restaurants, I have treated myself on occasion, and I am learning how to balance it all.

On January 1st I weighed myself and took a bunch of measurements. I've experienced weekly accomplishments and disappointments according to the numbers on my scale but I've tried to hold out for the bigger (monthly) picture. In the month of January I lost a total of 2.6 pounds. I lost 8 inches (!!!), mostly from my waist and hips. My clothes are beginning to fit more comfortably again and I am generally feeling happier and healthier. Is there room for improvement? Always, but I think I'm off to a great start and I look forward to what February has in store for me!

2 comments:

  1. You are doing great! I'm so happy you are liking the new workouts you are doing! Can't wait to see you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful job! I saw a crossfit comp (battle of the badges) today and OMG that is some serious exercising! Next year I might aim for trying it; this year I'll just aim to keep my Tues/Thurs date with the YMCA. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete